APHound v1.4 development has been slow to get off the ground this month but I’m finally moving it along. The slower start is just down to one of those Micro ISV realities – having two jobs. The bulk of your time is still taken up earning a living, which fortunately for me means doing the thing I enjoy most - software development, and most of your “free” time is taken up with your Micro ISV.
But hey, any excuse to code!
So, v1.4. The main driver for this release is to add support for 5GHz Wi-Fi. I’ll also be finishing off the support for 802.11ac which I started in v1.3. The changes to detect 5GHz, and 802.11ac capable, access points are already up and running and the initial information display and RSSI tracking is good. Next up is handling the channel allocations.
The Trello board for v1.4 has a few other things on it – internal download of updates, additional fields on the access point information tab, some internal refactoring and a couple of minor bug fixes – but the slower than normal start and the desire to keep up the, roughly, monthly release cycle might push some of these things in to v1.5.
The other item of note this month is that I started the first Google AdWords campaign. I purposely waited until I had a couple update releases complete before I undertook any form of advertising since I knew there were some improvements I wanted to make before I was happy with APHound.
The initial AdWord stats are much better than anticipated and, after a few tweaks to the ads and the keywords, the traffic to the website has grown massively. I’ll let the first campaign run its course then sit down and look at the user/website interactions which will help drive the next website update.