Thursday, April 30, 2015

APHound V1.3 – Code complete…phew!

V1.3 turned into one of those releases that sometimes comes along – so much fun (is that wrong?) that there was always room for just one more thing. But I finally stopped and reached code and test complete. I just have the help file and website changes to do and it’s good to go.

I did add the new Access Point Information tab, which was the main point of the release, which contains a little more information than the access point list for each access point. It allows access point data to be displayed side-by-side for comparison.

Looking at the Trello board there’s also a bit more in this one, such as:

  • A couple of bug fixes
  • A good chunk of refactoring
  • Support for channel bonding/40MHz channels
  • A co-channel and channel overlap count
  • User selectable scan intervals

I finally took delivery of a 5GHz, and 802.11ac, capable access point and USB dongle which allowed me to do some initial testing to identify the changes required to support 5GHz networks. That looks pretty good already and it’ll form the basis of V1.4.

I had a good look through the APHound Trello board to try and plan a bit further out. There was enough detail to plan not only V1.4 but also V1.5 and V1.6 too. But enough of that, I need to get V1.3 out of the door first.

Sunday, April 12, 2015

APHound V1.3 in full swing

Progress, so far, on APHound V1.3 in April is proving to be much better than V1.2 was in March. The development of this release just seems to be flowing a bit better.

Looking at the Trello board for APHound there’s a bit of a mixture in this release. A few minor bugs fixes, a new feature and tab for the Plus edition and a chunk of code refactoring in preparation for future changes.

The new feature/tab is for displaying more detailed information on each access point and to allow side-by-side comparisons of the data from multiple access points.

I’m also hoping to squeeze in the display changes for access points which can utilise secondary channels.

Refactoring wise, there’s some more efficient data handling and interpretation of the data returned from the scans along with improvements in string and display scheme handling which will enable future customisation.

I also, finally, ordered 5GHz kit to allow development of support for 5GHz access points. I haven’t fixed which release that will appear in but a quick scan of the Trello board would place it in V1.4/V1.5.

Back to it!