Tuesday, December 15, 2015

Just a quick update II...

For the moment I'm having to use the Blogger web interface to post. Up until about a week ago I'd always used Windows Live Writer but it appears Google have deprecated an authorisation API when Open Live Writer launched. Unfortunately it looks like OLW needed the old API too!

Anyway, there was another point to this entry - the purchase process for APHound.

I've been using a combination of e-Junkie, PayPal and other card processors for some time but recently I started to look for an e-Junkie alternative. I don't have anything bad to say about e-Junkie, it always worked for me but I thought the was the EU VAT rule change could maybe be improved and I hadn't seen support for different payment processors change in a while.

So, with the cart and payment processor options having moved on over the years, I looked around and settles on DPD for the cart and a combination of PayPal and Stripe for payment processing. I was impressed by the look and feel of the DPD offering and the admin interface was easy to use. 

Integration with PayPal and Stripe was seamless and all I really needed to do was tweak the licence code generation script to handle the different POST parameters.

One notable change, from a purchasers perspective, is in the handling of EU VAT. With e-Junkie I had to, essentially, use a VAT-inclusive price. This meant that, in addition to the card fees, I was also absorbing the tax cost for EU customers. With the switch to DPD the licence cost for APHound Plus is still $19.99 however EU customers will have VAT, at their appropriate local rate, applied at the checkout. 


No comments: